Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Eyesight - Cataracts Give a Different View

Image by Andrzej Barabasz, 12 June 2010, wikimedia commons, Rainbow CircularAB.jpg


Poet, Lisel Mueller in "Monet Refuses the Operation." sic cataract surgery

Doctor, you say there are no haloes
around the streetlights in Paris
and what I see is an aberration
caused by old age, an affliction.
I tell you it has taken me all my life
to arrive at the vision of gas lamps as angels,
to soften and blur and finally banish
the edges you regret I don't see,
to learn that the line I called the horizon
does not exist and sky and water,
so long apart, are the same state of being . . .

1 comment:

laurak/ForestWalkArt :) said...

nice.

i say, don't listen to the Doctors!
you see what you see...and believe in that.
sometimes i like to squint...and create that blurry other worldly view...